Sunday, January 18, 2009

Inaugeration Festivities: Humvees and Portapotties


The sign says it all.


In front of the Department of Interior.


The inauguration concert on the mall is just starting. I went down to see it, but decided to pull the plug pretty quickly.

It's not that it's cold -- 29 degrees is not bad.

It's the crowds. Too. Damn. Many. People.

The cops are out in force, with Humvees and reserve troops at all the intersections, along with cops, ambulances, helicopters, and squads of young people with walkie-talkies trying to manage folks to stay behind the barriers and file in a line.

Everything is nice and orderly, but the whole thing has a cattle-in-the-chute feel to it, and that's not my thing. I quickly realized that once I got inside the cordoned-off area, there was going to be no guarantee I would be able to see anything except some fat guy's ski hat.

I will buy the album.

Tomorrow I am hitting the farms for some sanity with the dogs.

While crossing Key Bridge (they have not closed it off yet), I noticed that the river is starting to freeze over. That's an optimistic sign.


The River, Bruce Springsteen :: link

.

No comments:

Post a Comment