Saturday, November 1, 2008

I voted!






Yesterday we drove an hour around the island to go to the early voting place, to cast our ballots in this emotional election.
As you can see from these photos, the journey was, in itself, inspiring. What a place this island is!

But more than that....I was really excited to vote. I was almost giddy! Like I was going to a party. :)
To feel that way, particularly in regards to an election, is something that has been seriously missing for years and years, in my life.

I think I must have started out enthusiastic with my first voting experience, but then as I got older, and time went on, my enthusiasm waned and I fell deeply into apathy, as nothing and no one seemed to make any difference. Until this election.

I am hopeful that Barrack Obama gets elected. I don't know much about politics, and who knows what he will be able to actually do in office, but the one thing that I get from him is Hope...Hope that we may find our way out of this mess that we are now in.

I watch him stand...speak....talk with Americans and I see a man with a quality of Grace.
I read a statement from his wife that said something to the effect that one needs to understand Hawaii to really understand Obama. I deeply understand that statement. There is something graceful and gracious in the people of this island.
Perhaps it's the force of nature that is so strong here....maybe it's the tradewinds that soften the edge...but it is true that Hawaii leaves her imprint. I see it on Barrack Obama. I am hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment