Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Texture and Treasure.......prelude to the Mermaid

For me, the first step in costuming a piece is to reach into my drawers of antique trim, beadwork and various embellishment pieces. For me, that's where inspiration lives.

I have collected so many fabulous treasure pieces over these many years, but sometimes I find myself unwilling to let these gorgeous trims leave my clutching fingers....however now I've decided that it's time to let go and use these pieces more freely on my artwork. What am I saving them for?

It is the beauty and quality of these metallic laces, 100 year old netting pieces and amazing beadwork that really infuses my creations with incredible energy and rather than hold back, I'm challenging myself to let go.

The mermaid now has a tail of capice shells.
Little shell disks, so fragile and beautiful.
Along with the capice shells, I added abalone shards and micro beads....and some white velvet leaves.






No comments:

Post a Comment