Friday, November 16, 2007

Worn the Same Pants for Seven Years

"He's worn the same pants for seven years."

Well, yes, I have. And fine pants they are too -- several pairs of Carhartts which wear like iron and are the finest pants made in American, in my opinion.

One pair of my Carhartts has a hole in the knee (unrepaired), another has the ass ripped out (repaired), and all are badly frayed on the bottom, and deeply stained with dirt, berries and blood.

No, I don't wear them to work.

Yes, I do occasionally wear them to coffee.

And if you are going to the veterinarian's office, nothing will drive the price of your bill down faster than wearing a pair of pants that looks as ratty as mine do. "Give the man a break on his bill ... he looks homeless."

I love my Carhartts. They are made in American by Americans. But, of course, they are priced through the roof -- $36 for a pair. But up to now, I have decided they are worth it.

But today something came in the email, and I am going outside of my comfort zone as a consequence: An offer for 12-oz cotton duck pants (same weight, color and type as Carhartt) for less than $12 a pair from BargainOutfitters.com. These pants have the same rivets and the hammer loop as my Carhartt's do. They also have double knees, same as my Carhartts.

Bottom line: I'm ordering three pairs. Even if they are not quite up to Carhartt quality, they are a three-for-one deal in terms of price.

I will let you know how they look and wear. I have $12 Guide Gear jeans too, and they wear like iron, so I am really not too worried about quality.

Will these new pants be made in America? Sadly, I will bet not. Of course, neither is the computer I am typing on, the cell phone in my pocket, or half the moving parts in my "made in America" car. International trade is a battle I am tired of fighting alone. If these pants are any good, I may defect to the other side. How Republican of me.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment