Saturday, May 12, 2007

Does a Bear Leave Lesses in the Woods?

In a previous posting I have mentioned various words that are applied to groups of animals, from a pride of lions to a mob of kangaroos, to a swarm of bees or locusts.

I even suggested a new word (and a good one I think) for the massive flocks of starlings we see assembled in the Fall (a vulgarity of starlings).

Listening to a comedian on television tonight, I began to wonder if there might be a secret raft of words used to describe specific animal excrement. "Shit" after all has grown just a little too tired from over-use.

I remembered that T.H. White had used the word "Fewmet" as the correct word for the scat of a dragon the Questing Beast. Were there others?

There are!

Below is a small sampling of words I have gleaned without trying too hard.

Apparently there is a book out there by Cyril E. Hare that I really must get -- Language of Field Sports - which is full of such stuff.

Can I really resist knowing a dozen animal-specific words for coppulating? I think not!

In any case, until such a book is ordered and arrived, I offer for your edification a few new words to toss out in casual conversation (note, some of these are Medieval and no longer much in use).


  • Billitting: Fox scat


  • Bodewash: Dried cow or buffalo dung


  • Buttons: Sheep dung


  • Coprolite: Fossilized excrement from a dinosaur


  • Crotiles or Crotisings: Hare poop


  • Fewmets: Deer pellets


  • Fuants: The squat of various vermin


  • Lesses: Boar, Bear or Wolf turds


  • Guano: Seafowl offerings used as fertilizer


  • Mutes: Hawk chalk


  • Scumber: Dog crap


  • Spraints: Otter calling cards


  • Tath: Cattle patties


  • Wormcast: Earthworm vermidung


Does anyone have any more? I know they're out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment